Tuesday, September 11, 2012

God Bless America.

Can you believe it?

It has been 11 years.

I was 8 years old, sitting in another normal day of 3rd grade.

And the harder I think back on it, the less I can remember, so I called my family to see what they remembered.
My mom and grandma remembered everything about their days. Every detail.
Which helped my sister and I remember little glimpse of our days.

I remember the teacher across the hall, coming into my class...gasping, crying and saying the towers fell.
My teacher Mrs. Price began to cry, gathered herself and we continued.
The only other thing I rememeber must have been that evening or the next day. My family was sitting at the table watching it again. When the towers fell, my grandma put her face in her hands and began to sob.
That's it.
That's all I remember.

I was young. I didn't know what was going on.
But as each year goes by my heart aches more and more for the families affected.
I can't help but weep, now as a young adult, as I understand more and more of what it meant to families and friends.

Being so close to New York, I have decided that I'm going to go and see Ground Zero on Sunday.
It's bittersweet.
I'm excited to go back to New York and see a monument that means so much.
But the terms as to why it's there is heartbreaking.




I am so proud and know I am blessed to live in America.
I have decided in this moment that I will teach American pride and humility to my children.
The flag will be displayed proudly and reverently.



"I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love"

No comments:

Post a Comment